Hospitality Academy

Student Visa Spain

What is the Student Visa?

The Student Visa is a residence authorization that allows non-EU citizens to live and study in Spain. The Student Visa is not a regular residence permit, but rather supports you during your study period in Spain. 

  • Student Permit for less than 3 months (90 days)

    Students from countries which are eligible for visa-free entry of up to 90 days, can take a course without obtaining a student visa (as long as the duration of the course is shorter than 90 days). Those coming from countries which do not qualify for visa-free entry need to apply for a Schengen Student Visa. To study in Spain, applications need to be made at a Spanish embassy or consulate in the home country of the student.

  • Short-term Student Visa for between 3 and 6 months

    The Short-Term Student Visa allows students to take a course which lasts a maximum of 180 days. The application is less complicated than the one for longer courses as less paperwork is required. Short-term Student Visas cannot be extended under any circumstances.

  • Long-term Student Visa for more than 6 months

    Long-Term Student Visas allow students to take courses which are longer than 6 months. In addition to completing the visa application, students have to apply for a student residence card at an immigration office within a month after arriving.

  • Non-EU Citizen

    You cannot be a citizen of a EU country in order to apply for this visa.

  • Legal Status (No Forbidden Entry Status)

    You should not have a forbidden status to enter the country.

  • Sufficient Economic Funds

    You should have sufficient funds in your to finance your stay in Spain. Your initial funds in your account should be at least 600 euros per month of stay. For example, if you are applying for a student visa for 1 year you should have 600x12 = 7200 euros in your bank account when applying.

  • Health Insurance Coverage

    You should either have a public or a private health insurance that covers you during your stay in Spain.

  • Admission to a University Course

    You need to be enrolled in the university you are planning to study at and you need to submit the admissions letter from the university while applying for the visa.

  • Clean Criminal Record

    You need to submit a police clearance certificate (PCC) from countries you have been staying in for the last 5 years to demonstrate that you have a clean criminal record.

  • Round Trip Flight Tickets (for Short-Term Visas only)

    For short-term visas (less than 3 months) you need to additionally submit your flight tickets.

  • 2 completed Schengen Visa application forms

  • Passport (valid for 6 more months after the the end of your visa)

  • 2 recent passport photos (one for each application form)

  • Letter of acceptance from the University

  • Proof of Fee payment from the University

  • Health insurance

  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay (bank statements of the last 6 months)

  • Sponsorship letter (in case of a third party sponsorship)

  • Get a chance to study in one of the most hospitable countries in the world.

  • Work for a maximum of 20 hours per week

  • Chance to modify your student visa into a work visa

    *only if you meet certain requirements

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

No. You will need to apply for your student visa in order to become a legal resident during the time in which you will be coursing your degree/course/masters/P.hD.

Nevertheless, if your course or studies take less than 90 days, there is no need to get it. You will have enough time with your tourist visa. 

Your student visa is linked to the duration of your studies. This means that your visa expires upon graduation. However, with the help of Barcelona Hospitality Academy you will be able to extend your visa with the help of one of our programs. 

If your studies are less than 3 months you will NOT need to get a NIE. 
If your studies are more than 3 months, however, you will have to get a NIE. The NIE is the basic ID number that any foreign citizen needs in Spain. Nevertheless, you will obtain it directly once you get your visa. The extra step you will need to take is to get the TIE (the actual card that contains the NIE). 

Yes. The student visa allows you to do both an internship or any other kind of job. With the student visa you are not in need of obtaining a residence and work permit. Nonetheless, keep in mind that even if you do a non-internship job, the maximum amount of hours you can work in this job is 20 hours. 

Yes. Foreign students may work in Spain. Their internships can both be done under curricular and extracurricular job contracts. In case of curricular internship, you will need a contract between both parties (university and the company) signed by both sides. Furthermore, students can also ask for a residence permit to do an internship in the country, moving out from their current student visa status and obtaining a residence authorization that allows them to work. 

You are allowed to work a total of 40 hours per week. Keep in mind that the maximum number of internship hours you may work a week is limited to 20. In other words, if you only have classes 5 hours per week you are not allowed to work for 35 hours per week during your internship, but only for 20. In case of doing a curricular internship it will be the university that defines the total number of hours a week you may work during your internship.

Looking to study and work in Spain?

If you are interested in studying a degree in Spain and working at the same time, then Barcelona Hospitality Academy is the perfect solution for you. We will make sure that your visa process is taken care of as well as providing you with a good quality education and an opportunity to work at the same time. By enrolling in one of our programs, you will get the opportunity to apply for the Spanish residency* upon completion of your degree. 

*please contact us in order to obtain more information about your eligibility for the Spanish residency

Our Programs

Contact Us



Hospitality Academy has partnerships with internationally-recognized Schools and Companies to deliver the most affordable Educational Courses and Placement Services for those looking to continue growing anywhere in the world. 

More than a school,  Hospitality Academy is your Passport to the World of Professional Hospitality Success!