Academia de hospitalidad

C1/D Visa USA

What is the C1/D Visa?

The C1/D is a U.S. nonimmigrant visa type intended for international crewmembers of international commercial cruise ships or airlines. The purpose of this visa is to allow crewmembers to travel through the USA for short periods of time, as part of their occupation. 

This visa type does not allow the holder to reside in the USA, as the duration of the visa is only 29 days. 

As the C1/D visa only allows you to travel through the US, it has different requirements than some other nonimmigrant visa types. In order to qualify for this visa type, the following requirements must be met:

  • You must be employed on a vessel or airline which requires you to travel through a U.S. port of entry. This includes pilots, flight attendants, captains, dechands, engineers on sea vessels, lifeguards, waiters, cooks, trainees and other supporting staff on a sea vessel.
  • A Valid Passport (should be valid for at least 6 months after your departure from the USA).
  • A photo which meets the requirements for U.S. visa issuance.
  • A printed copy of the DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form, confirmation page.
  • Receipt of the Embassy Fee Payment.
  • Printed Embassy Appointment Confirmation.
  • A letter from your employer/company confirming the purpose of your trip.
  • Documentation proving ties to your home country (supporting documents).
  • A letter from your employer stating the following information:
    1. Name of vessel or aircraft/airline you will be working on.
    2. The duration of your stay in the USA.
    3. Your port of entry to the USA, and the date.
    4. Your port of exit from the USA, and the date.
    5. Your job position and description of your duties.
    6. Your salary.
  • Proof of Employment at your present place of employment (work records, paychecks).
  • The Continuous Discharge Certificate (CDC)
  • Travel authorization from your employer.
  • Documentation to support your qualifications for your job position. (Diplomas, certificates, reference letters).
  • Proof of criminal background clearance.

What are the benefits of the C1/D visa?

The C1/D visa allows the holder to travel through the USA a maximum of 29 days before the departure date of their ship or airplane.

Restrictions of the C1/D visa to be aware of:

This visa type only allows you entry to the USA for a duration of 29 days. Therefore, under this visa category the following restrictions apply:

  • There is no possibility to extend your stay in the USA.
  • You are not allowed to seek alternative employment in the USA.
  • You are not allowed to enroll in a study program in the USA.
  • You cannot apply for a Green Card.
  • There is no possibility to apply for a change of visa status.
  • You must enter and depart the USA at the same point of entry.
  • Once you leave the USA, you can only reapply for this visa in 6 months time.
  • The C1/D visa does not allow the visa holder to bring dependents to the USA.

Obtaining a C1/D requires the applicant to attend an interview with an officer of a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The steps to apply for a C1/D visa are the following:

  • An applicant of this visa type must fill in the DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Application Form and make the accompanying non-refundable visa fee payment.
  • After this, the applicant can book and attend their visa interview appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  • Once the applicant has attended the appointment, if the visa is approved, it will be issued to the applicant within 3-5 business days after the appointment.
  • The Embassy or Consulate will deliver your passport to you within 2 weeks of the decision.

Preguntas frecuentes (FAQ)

The CDC is a seafarer’s identification document. This document is issued by the country under which the ship sails. This document can also be known as the Seaman’s book.

The DS-160 is your Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form. This is a multi-page online application form on the U.S. Government website. You will need to fill in and submit this application in order to apply for your visa and book your Embassy Appointment. You will also be required to make the non-refundable Visa Application or Appointment Fee.

All applicants of the C1/D visa category must attend an embassy appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. This interview will be conducted with an embassy officer, who will ultimately decide if your visa will be granted. You must bring all required documents with you to the Embassy and answer the questions asked by the embassy officer in order to support your visa application.

Applicants of this visa type are advised to bring the following documents with them to the appointment to support their visa application and to prove that they have no intention of staying in the USA. The types of documents you can bring to support your visa application are the following:

  • Proof of foreign residence
  • Proof of permanent residence outside of the USA
  • Proof of strong family ties outside of the USA (spouse, children, parents, grandparents)
  • Proof of financial resources: Your own bank statements proving sufficient funds to support yourself throughout the course of your stay in the USA. In the case that another person is supporting you financially, you will need to bring a copy of their bank statement and a letter from this individual stating that they will support you financially.
  • Proof of qualification/ academics: Transcripts, Diplomas, or certificates from institutions you have attended in the past or reference letters from previous employment in your field of employment.

¿Buscas estudiar y / o trabajar en los EE. UU.?

Si está interesado en estudiar y / o trabajar en los EE. UU., Miami Hospitality Academy es la solución perfecta para usted. Nos aseguraremos de que su proceso de visa sea atendido y de brindarle una educación de buena calidad y la oportunidad de trabajar al mismo tiempo.

Hospitality Academy se enorgullece de asociarse con la empresa líder de reclutamiento en hotelería Placement International, así como con varias organizaciones patrocinadoras asociadas de EE. UU. Para comenzar su proceso de visa J-1, contáctenos en para más información.

Nuestros programas




Hospitality Academy tiene asociaciones con escuelas y empresas reconocidas internacionalmente para ofrecer los cursos educativos y los servicios de colocación más asequibles para aquellos que buscan seguir creciendo en cualquier parte del mundo. 

¡Más que una escuela, Hospitality Academy es su pasaporte al mundo del éxito profesional en hotelería!